Aran weight yarn. This was knit in four rectangular panels and then sewn together. The mitred border was then knit on to the throw and sewn at the corners and on the back. By the end this was getting very heavy and made my arms ache.
4ply yarn. Knit in grey this has a dropped stitch design feature on the front. If knitting this again I would make two changes. The first would be to knit it in the round on circular needles, this would make the top smoother with no side seams and probably less itchy for sensitive skin. The second would be to make it longer. Feedback from West Wight Alpacas is that lots of people like the top, but feel it is a bit short. The odd thing is that I did it exactly as the pattern and it doesn't look short at all in the photograph on the pattern front.
4ply yarn. This was very enjoyable to knit and once I got into the pattern it was not as complex as it might look. The photograph shows it being blocked on my home made blocking board, made from an old wardrobe door covered in several layers of self adhesive cork sheet and with a quilted fabric cover. In spite of appearances the board is quite light in weight for it's size.
I had about a week to do this one and it is even more complex than it looks. The main body of the hat is knit as a long ribbon, which, after part of it is unravelled, is then sewn together in a spiral on a head form. After this a rib edge is knitted by picking up stitches all along the edge of the hat. Once this has been done the loops, formed when the ribbon was unravelled, are then cut and teased out with a wire brush to form "locks" of Alpaca hair. The final part is adding additional locks of hair in a contrasting colour. I found I had to sew these in to stop them untying themselves and falling out. I did manage to get this done in time and the end result is quite good, but I can think of easier ways to achieve a very similar end result.